YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Love, Hate, Houston, And Chicken Salad


Sometimes it's really hard to love Houston. The heat, the concrete, the giant trucks. Sometimes I feel like a burnt offering cooking on a hot concrete alter, only to be sacrificed to the god of Gallon Hats and BBQ.
But Houston is not without its merits: there's world class health care, low cost of living, and of course, BBQ! Sexy, right? So yeah, sometimes I do wish I lived somewhere a teensy bit more exotic or cultured.
So you can imagine my excitement when yesterday I accidentally stumbled on a little gem right in the middle of H-town.
I was coming back from the Dermatologist (once again, lovin' the health care here) and was near Rice University, one of my favorite areas, when I saw signs for the Rice Houston Farmer's Market!
Well, I just pulled right over to see what this was all about. And I had a great time! There were about 15 or 20 booths all set up by local farmers and businesses selling everything from organic kale to organic mosquito repellent!
I took a few quick pictures of the action on my phone:




It was perfect weather for such an occasion, and even though I got there right at the beginning, it was already full of other eager buyers.




Food-wise, I didn't get too much since I had just done a grocery run the day before, but I did scoop up this mayonnaise-free chicken salad and some homemade Sage Crackers. It made a great afternoon snack!




I also purchased some organic mosquito spray. Apparently, the secret ingredient is Catnip! Who knew?! But it's true I've never heard of cats complaining about mosquito bites. I might've bought some snake oil, but we will see!




I love the first 2 ingredients of this! Even though I don't know how I feel about someone breathing all over my chili . . .




But my favorite part were all the lovely wildflower bouquets! I got 2 for just $5 each, and they instantly made me happier!



Well, Houston- just when I think I've got you figured out, you go and surprise me. I guess that's the secret to any good relationship: stability with a dash of mystery every once in awhile. And thanks again for the health care.

2 comments: